Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Humility

I read CJ Mahaney's little book on humility while in Montana and have once again been reminded of how central humility must be and how prideful my tendencies are. I heard someone once compare an examination of humility in our live to be like peeling an onion. You peel off one layer, only to find another and another. I can think I am humble because I don't boast about myself, but do I think like a humbly person? I can think humbly of myself but take pride in my humility, so am I really humble? It seems like the deeper I dig, pride will always turn up in one form or another. If this is not proof of my total depravity, I don't know what is. I must constantly be reminded of this or else I will forget that my only hope for anything good to come out of me is in God's sovereign grace over my life. When I forget this, it become a constant struggle to avoid sin and an adherence to religion takes the place of adherence to God. My joy becomes based on my good works or situation and not God's work for me. As has been pointed out before, my greatest enemy is indeed John Paul.

No comments:

Post a Comment