Tuesday, September 1, 2009

The Faith of the "Better Season"

I have been away from my church for a few weeks and during this time I have had the chance to hear from some other Christians who hold a different view of God. As always, it provided refreshing insight into my own set ways and beliefs. The underlying current that struck me was the idea that God will bless you for following him. The implication is that if you are not being blessed, than it is God's judgement. Christ becomes just the ticket to the show, a way to prosperity and heaven.

To our human minds it all seems to make sense, God blesses the good and curses the bad. Close your eyes for the moment it even seems right, but open you eyes and look around at the pain filled lives of real people and you have to stop short. Bad things continue to happen to good people.

How can I tell a grieving mother with her only son in the grave yard that God only wants joy and happiness on earth for her. Will the idea that there is always a "better season" to come if she just has faith, sustain her in her loss? No wonder people are walking out of church. The propriety gospel sounds good when life is easy, and on the surface, it is hard to find anything wrong with what is said. What is so terribly wrong, is what is left unsaid. The focus becomes on our actions and not on God. Pride in our deeds takes hold, our faith becomes shallow and Jesus pointless. If there is no spiritual deadness, than there is no necessity for a bloody sacrifice. If Jesus wants everyone to go to heaven, why hasn't God the father got the word? If I just acknowledge God, everything will work itself out, so there is no reason to lay down my life, just a Christ laid down His for me. My only hope becomes worldly success in order to have any outward sign of God's favor towards me and if that is my hope, I might as well die.

Rather, let me hear about a God that blows my mind, one that I cannot get my head around. Let me run to him and lay down every earthly ambition for His glory. Give me a bloody cross as my banner to carry into the fight and to plant on every hill as my proof of God's love. And if necessary, make my life a living hell so that no one might say that God only loves those whom He blesses with earthly gains.

No comments:

Post a Comment