Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Perfect Fulfillment

I do not know if it is exclusive to certain people, just a guy thing, or what, but there is this drive I have for perfect fulfillment in everything. I am thankful for this or else I would end up a penniless sluggard for lack of doing anything, but I also envy the person who can take what they have and be content. For me, broken things have to be fixed, old things have to be repaired, and no matter what I have, I always want to improve upon it. My sense of fulfillment in life becomes tied up in accomplishing these things. This may appear on the outside as a good gift, but in it are the roots of many evils. Nothing is every perfect in this sinful, fallen world. No matter how new something is, it will eventually break, and more likely sooner than later. Even non-material things like relationships are always shot full of problems. The danger is that I will give to much time and effort to these things and never be happy or that the sense of how endless this work is will take hold and push me into despairing. Like everything in life, there is a delicate balance we must keep in order to avoid the extremes at either end. For me this means knowing when enough is enough and keeping in my mind the things that transcend this world with it's numerous imperfections.

No comments:

Post a Comment